Written and Compiled by Dr John Whitman Ray N.D., M.D. (M.A.)
1. Mature Green Papaya (Pawpaw) contains an excellent source of enzymes, minerals and vitamins. Mature Green Papaya contains more Vitamin A than carrots, more Vitamin C than oranges, abundant Vitamin B factors and Vitamin E. Mature Green Papaya also contains a complex of enzymes that help digest proteins, carbohydrates and fats. The Mature Green Papaya (Pawpaw) should be used totally with skin, flesh and seeds. The papaya should be chemical free. The papain in the entire pawpaw observed as a white sap or fluid is not found in the ripe pawpaw. Blend the Mature Green Pawpaw with other fresh fruits to make a splendid flavored smoothie drink which, when consumed at the time of blending will be full of enzymes which will be of maximum benefit to the consistent user.
2. Papain is the principal and most active enzyme in the Mature Green Papaya. Papain possesses a very powerful digestive action superior to pepsin and pancreatin. Changes in intestinal alkalinity or acidity do not interfere with the unique digestive activity of papain. Papain breaks down meat fibers, thereby rendering nutrients available to the digestive process. This emphasized the need for papain in the diet of meat eaters as well as vegetarians.
3. Papain, one of the most powerful plant proteolytic enzymes, is a catalytic agent that will act in protein digestion in an acid, alkaline or neutral medium. This is of vital importance for those with enzyme deficiency problems as well as for those with low hydrochloric acid output in the stomach. Remember, the pepsin produced in the stomach required for protein digestion is activated only in an acid medium. This requires a healthy output of hydrochloric acid which is insufficient in most people. Due to the powerful proteolytic action of papain, a more active protein digestant than pepsin, a major digestive problem for most people will be helped by the daily ingestion of Mature Green Papaya.
4. A major problem in our diets today is that we only partially digest the protein foods we consume. This is due in part to the insufficient hydrochloric acid output by the stomach. These partially digested proteins help attribute to mucoprotein build up in the body. This is due to the undigested protein molecules making their way into the system and eventually finding their way into the interstitial spaces and accumulating there as mucoprotein, as polysaccharide-protein combination. This mucoprotein is also known as trapped plasma protein. The proteolytic action of papain can digest the protein we consume so that the accumulation of trapped plasma protein can be prevented. The accumulation of mucoprotein in the interstitial spaces and lymphatic system is the basic cause of lymphatic congestion.
5. Mature Green Papaya possesses antiseptic qualities and helps prevent the abnormal proliferation of undesirable bacteria in the intestines. The pH of the intestines is then kept normalized with the addition of acidophilus which aids in normalizing the intestinal flora.
6. Papain, found abundantly in the Mature Green Papaya (pawpaw), acts as a powerful mucus and pus solvent. Papain helps to cleanse the tissues and intestinal walls of all waste matter in the form of excessive mucus and dead tissue. Papain in the whole papaya or in the Mature Green
Papaya is harmless to living tissue and is a must for the maintenance of health in the intestinal tract.
7. In scientific studies using papain as a digestant, it has been established that proteins are “actually chemically transformed into all the various amino acids that are so vital to human nutrition”. Papain has the property to transform albumanoids into peptones in either an acid, alkaline or neutral medium, making it superior to pepsin.
8. Arginine, one of the essential amino acids, is not normally produced within the body, but must be obtained as a component of a few foods such as eggs and brewer’s yeast. These foods must be eaten with some regularity if the reproductive organs are to function properly. However, when papain is allowed to act upon many kinds of proteins it has a singular distinctive power of converting a portion of the protein mass to arginine, even in the intestine.
9. This unique ability of papain to break down protein and to convert a portion of it into arginine is extremely important because arginine in its natural form has been found to influence the production of the human growth hormone or HGH. HGH is produced in the pituitary gland and is directly responsible for DNA and RNA replication as well as synthesis in liver, muscle, cartilage and adipose tissues. Arginine ingested in connection with exercise has been found to raise the production of HGH significantly. This HGH helps to increase muscle tone and decrease the amount of body fat. Arginine has also been found to inhibit the growth of human breast cancer cells in test tube studies.
10. The papain in the Mature Green Papaya (pawpaw) works to break down various protein foods so that the individual amino acids are produced and auto-intoxicating or other undesirable undigested substances are avoided. High blood pressure, constipation, arthritis, epilepsy and diabetes are only a few of the ailments aggravated by incomplete protein digestion. While the presence of papain may not alwavs prevent these abnormalities, it has the power to help regulate these abnormalities through proper digestion.
11. The Mature Green Papaya (pawpaw) contains several enzymes in addition to the papain used for protein digestion. Carbohydrates and fat digestion can be accomplished by the enzymes found in the Mature Green Papaya. These papaya enzymes have the ability to infiltrate the tissues. By this means, it can help dissolve injured and hardened tissues, thus tending to alleviate hardening of the arteries.
In scientific studies using proteolytic enzymes it has been fully established that the immune system is greatly enhanced by the ingestion of proteolytic enzymes. Papain is the number one plant proteolytic enzyme thus placing it in a very important position to help maintain optimum health through an active immune system that is often destroyed by toxic mercury from silver amalgam fillings, fluoride additives to the water, toothpaste and children’s mouthwash, as well as chemical sprays such as malathion and paraquat.
12. Papaya is the only known food containing papain, the active principal enzyme in Mature Green Papaya. Remember, it digests protein thoroughly and frees the amino acids for quick absorption by the body. Since it acts impartially in acid, neutral and alkaline mediums, it is extremely valuable for the aged or anyone who has weak digestion due to enzyme deficiencies that have developed over the years. These 12 points establish the Mature Green Papaya (pawpaw) as a superior food to ensure proper digestive activity.