I . One of the world’s most prestigious journals “Nature” (Vol.322, July 10 1986) answers the fluoridation questions more than satisfactorily. An examination of fluoridation trials and studies in the United States and throughout the world show that, “Large temporal reductions in dental decay… cannot be attributed to fluoridation. It is now time for a scientific reexamination of the alleged enormous benefits of fluoridation.”
2. Dr R.N. Mukherjee and Dr. F.H.Sobels from the University of Leiden in Holland found that fluoride increased the frequency of genetic damage in sperm cells which were produced by laboratory animals exposed to X-rays. It is evident, from their studies that fluoride inhibited the repair of DNA damaged by X-rays. Their conclusion: “Sodium fluoride resulted in a consistent and highly significant increase of the mutation (i.e. genetic damage) frequency. This effect is thought to result from interference with a repair process.”
3. Dr. S.I. Voroshilin and co-workers from the Russian Research Institute of Industrial Health & Occupational Diseases concluded, “It would seem to us that fluoride could cause some kind of disturbance in the enzymes that are related to the mechanism of DNA repair and synthesis.”
4. Dr. Iarez from the Department of Toxicology from Central University of Venezuela in Caracas reported that, “Fluoride added to the drinking water of female rats produced birth defects in their offspring.” Those involved in birthing our children know of the huge increase in birth defects and deformities in large cities where fluoridation is used.
5. Dr. Robert Carton, quoted in the Spring 1987 issue of the Center for Health Action’s publication “Update” states, “The fluoride standard was based on political pressures without any regard to the facts.” We are well aware of the political pressures and controls related to the desires of vested interest.
6. In this day of numerous highly contagious and death dealing immune deficiency disorders, the use of fluoridation in the water supply in any amount would be highly irresponsible and suicidal. Please note: Dr. Sheila Gibson from the University of Glasgow, showed that fluoride, at levels comparable to those found in the blood of people living in fluoridated areas, decreased migration rate of human white blood cells. This directly affects adversely the immune system. Dr. Gibson found that only a six hour exposure of white blood cells to as little as 0. I parts per million fluoride inhibits the white blood cell migration rate by 21 percent. One part per million inhibits the white blood cell migration by 85 per cent and 2 ppm has a conclusive 0 percent relative migration rate. This indicated that a continued use of fluoridation in the drinking water could result in the total destruction of the immune response.
7. Dr. J. Gabrovsek, a research dentist at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine stated in a published paper: “Because of the inhibitory effects of NaF (sodium fluoride) in phagocytosis and leukotaxis (the migration of white blood cells) which are basic defense mechanisms, I have doubts about the absolute safety of water fluoridation on a long term basis.”
8. Dr. John Yiamouyiannis, author of Fluoride the Aging Factor and worldwide authority on fluoridation and its statistical relationship to cancer, has shown conclusively that fluoride damages body repair and rejuvenation capabilities and does in fact bring about the visible symptoms of aging such as wrinkled skin and arthritis. He stated, “Since the first publication of his book in 1983, a number of important articles have been published by researchers from around the world and their findings are included in this second edition. While I am gratified to know that my conclusions in 1983 have been confirmed and extended rather than disproved by the results of this new research, I feel a greater sorrow in having to watch the unnecessary suffering brought about by fluoride.”
9. As a physician, international health educator and seminar speaker, I have found that an individual who drinks fluoridated water reduces the ability of the body to rejuvenate and regain youthful health. I have found through the use of live blood cell analysis that those who drink fluoridated water regularly have a relatively inactive migration rate of white blood cells thus rendering their immune system ineffective.
10. It is only reasonable to the candid and reflective mind that one cannot enhance the immune response and destroy it at the same time. My life work involves enhancing the body’s immune response and rejuvenating capacities of the body. In the interests of our children, our friends and ourselves, we need to educate each other and expose those who would enforce the addition of a known toxic substance (sodium fluoride) to our hopefully pure water system. Every effort should be made to stop the systematic destruction of our immune response by demanding without compromise the assurance of a continual pure water supply free from the addition of toxic and cancer causing chemicals. (Before you judge this statement, get the facts, read Fluoride the Aging Factor by Dr.John Yiamouyiannis and then rest secure that you are walking on solid ground regarding the fluoridation battle.)
11. Order the book Fluoride the Aging Factor by Dr.John Yiamouyiannis, Health Action Press, 6439 Taggert Rd., Delaware, OH 43015.
Health Watchers International
18 Scientifically Validated Reasons to End Public Water Fluoridation
1. Fluoride is not critical for healthy teeth:
“It is widely accepted that fluoride only helps prevent dental decay by topical means—by direct action on the tooth enamel predominantly after eruption and dental plaque . However, it is important to note that while fluoride contributes to the remineralisation process in the enamel of the tooth surface this is not dependent on fluoride, and that fluoride’s anticaries effect is critically dependent on calcium and magnesium content of teeth enamel.”
2. Fluoride may actually make certain people more vulnerable to dental caries:
“Among young individuals with low calcium and magnesium in teeth enamel (usually due to undernutrition), fluoride ingestion and contact with teeth present histologically as hypo-calcification and/or hypoplasia, which may paradoxically make such individuals more vulnerable to dental caries .”
3. Because of the complex nature of how dental caries develop, it is too difficult to tell if water fluoridation actually helps prevent dental caries:
“…the multiple pathways to the development of dental caries make it difficult to accurately ascertain the contribution of fluoride ingestion to dental caries prevention. Given that the action of fluoride on dental caries prevention is topical, only topical fluoride products are likely to provide optimal benefits claimed for this chemical.”
4. The history of research into ingesting fluoride as an effective means of preventing dental caries is controversial, at best:
“A survey of 55 reputable oral health specialists on the impacts of artificial water fluoridation and other preventive technologies on the decline in dental caries prevalence over the past four decades in most nations revealed that, apart from fluoridated toothpaste, there were conflicting responses on the impact of artificial water fluoridation and other fluoride-based technologies. Studies focused on dental caries trends following cessation of fluoridation have produced contradictory results, in part due to study technique, availability of other fluoride sources, and consumption patterns of cariogenic foods.”
5. Fluoride is classified as a pollutant and there is no such thing as a disease caused by fluoride deficiency.
6. Drinking fluoride in public water makes it impossible to administer a proper dose, causing a rise in toxic dental fluorosis:
“One of the key concerns about water fluoridation is the inability to control an individual’s dose of ingested fluoride which brings into question the concept of the “optimal dose.” Since the 1980s numerous studies have identified that adults and children are exceeding these agreed limits, contributing to a rapid rise in dental fluorosis—the first sign of fluoride toxicity.”
7. Mass contamination of drinking water with fluoride is toxic for children:
“In 1991, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in the USA measured fluoride levels and found that where water is fluoridated between 0.7 and 1.2ppm overall fluoride, total fluoride intake for adults was between 1.58 and 6.6mg per day while for children it was between 0.9 and 3.6mg per day and that there was at least a sixfold variation just from water consumption alone .
The inability to control individual dose renders the notion of an “optimum concentration” obsolete. In the USA, a study in Iowa found that 90% of 3-month-olds consumed over their recommended upper limits, with some babies ingesting over 6mg of fluoride daily, above what the Environmental Protection Agency and the WHO say is safe to avoid crippling skeletal fluorosis .
8. Fluoride may increase the risk of dental caries for malnurished children:
“Fluoride exposure has a complex relationship in relation to dental caries and may increase dental caries risk in malnourished children due to calcium depletion and enamel hypoplasia, while offering modest caries prevention in otherwise well-nourished children.”
9. Water fluoridation effects the cognitive development of children:
“In a meta-analysis of 27 mostly China-based studies on fluoride and neurotoxicity, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health and China Medical University in Shenyang found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children.”
10. Water fluoridation may cause hypothyroidism in children:
“In a 2005 study, it was found that 47% of children living in a New Delhi neighbourhood with average water fluoride level of 4.37ppm have evidence of clinical hypothyroidism attributable to fluoride.”
11. Fluoride consumption may actually cause bone disease:
“In some cases—where fluoride levels are very high or where there is prolonged ingestion at 2ppm or higher, cases of skeletal fluorosis have been reported. Skeletal fluorosis is a chronic metabolic bone disease caused by ingestion or inhalation of large amounts of fluoride.”
12. As an enzyme disruptor, fluoride interferes with the body’s normal functioning in many complex ways:
“Fluoride is a known enzyme disruptor. For example, fluoride’s anticaries effect is derived in part from its ability to derange the enzymes of cariogenic bacteria. Fluoride can interfere by attaching itself to metal ions located at an enzyme’s active site or by forming competing hydrogen bonds at the active site which is not exclusively just on the teeth. There are 66 enzymes which are affected by fluoride ingestion, including P450 oxidases, as well the enzyme which facilitates the formation of flexible enamel.”
13. “Chronic fluoride ingestion is commonly associated with hyperkalaemia and consequent ventricular fibrillation.”
14. Fluoride ingestion has been linked to cancer, although it has not yet been proven to directly cause cancer:
“There have also been a number of studies that link fluoride and cancer. More than 50 population-based studies which have examined the potential link between water fluoride levels and cancer have been reported in the medical literature. Most of these studies have not found a strong link between chronic fluoride ingestion and cancer.
However, population-based-studies strongly suggest that chronic fluoride ingestion is a possible cause of uterine cancer and bladder cancer; there may be a link with osteosarcoma—highlighted as an area where there is evidence of problems requiring further research.”
15. Ethically speaking, mass water fluoridation is medication without consent:
“…community water fluoridation provides policy makers with important questions about medication without consent, the removal of individual choice and whether public water supplies are an appropriate delivery mechanism. “
16. The human body does not need fluoride to be healthy:
“One of the early controversies following the completion of the post-1945 Grand Rapids trial of water fluoridation was how fluoride ingested by humans should be classified—a nutrient, medication, or pollutant. Despite numerous studies, the essentiality of fluoride as a trace element or nutrient has not been proven and it is now widely accepted that fluoride is not essential element for human physiology.
In an extensive review of fluoride and human health published in 2011, the European Commission’s Scientific Committee on Health and Environmental Risks concluded that fluoride is not essential for human growth and development.”
17. Although promoted as a medicine for tooth decay, fluoride is not regulated or controlled as a medicine:
“Although fluoride, used in artificial water fluoridation, is promoted as a medicine for preventing tooth decay, it is not subject to the strict guidelines of medicines statutes in the nations that implement artificial water fluoridation. The practice of water fluoridation is recommended as a means of preventing dental caries. Despite this very clear definition of purpose, no fluoridating country defines fluoridation of water supplies as a medicine.”
18. There are better alternatives to preventing cavities than fluoridation:
“The polarized debate on the role of ingested fluoride in dental health ignores the basic problem that dental caries is essentially the outcome of bacterial infection of teeth enamel. While it might have been excusable in the 1950s to utilize an enzyme poison such as fluoride to undesirably alter dental architecture and to kill cariogenic bacteria, a better understanding of the pathogenesis of dental caries, coupled with development of antibiotics and probiotics with strong anticariogenic effects, diminishes any major future role for fluoride in caries prevention.”